Friday, July 27, 2007

Speak Up!!!

“First they came for the Communists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Social Democrats,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Social Democrat.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists,
and I didn’t speak up,
because I wasn’t a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew,
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.”

Pastor Martin Neimoller's – on why we should speak up against injustice even when it don’t really affect us and on the importance of free speech. Neimoller was a Protestant German Christian who had supported Nazis initially but eventually ended up in one of their concentrations camps. He was fortunate enough to have been freed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you blogging again. This one was a very good one and I liked it a lot. But on the ground how many of us really stand and object when something wrong is being done to someone we don't really know. Personally - I wouldn't bother. Maybe we need to change.

Rithesh said...

My struggle for connectivity finally ended. I got my BSNL Broadband connection after 7 loooooooog months. Hopefully you will see me frequently here.

Everyone of us, i feel will be bothered if something is not right, but we may feel insecure to fight against it. Naturally our own (and our families) safety and priorities are important to us.

Me too, in some cases i register my protest, but in most cases i just let go. As you suggested we all need to change. Its very important we do so for our own good :).